This ornament combines the kimekomi (fabric) technique with sequins and glitter paint.
- ball point pen
- measuring tape
- tucking tool (I use a straight upholstery needle)
- glue stick
- craft glue
- craft knife
- three inch smooth foam ball
- cream colored silk fabric**
- 1/2 inch silver sequin pins*
- 3/4 inch silver sequin pins*
- 15/0 clear iridescent seed beads*
- 5mm sequins in red, green and silver
- eighteen 7mm red sequins
- clear iridescent glitter glue
- red glitter
- 1/2cm red ribbon
- green cord
- four green single holly leaf sequins
- two pearl topped corsage pins
*Purchased from Cartwright’s
**Cotton fabric can be used in place of silk.
- Draw vertical lines on the ball dividing it into 8 equal sections.
- Measure from the top point of the ball, down a line toward the mold line of the ball (any line will do), one inch and mark it.
- Move one line to the right and do the same thing as in step 2 except this time measure two inches.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have each line marked.
- Connect the dots. Using your measuring tape as a straight edge, connect each point marked. You should have drawn what looks like a 4 point star when looking down at the top of your ball.
- Turn the ball over and repeat steps 1-5 on the bottom of the ball. However, this time you should shift the pattern over one line. So, if you measured one inch on the top of the ball, you should measure two inches on the same line on the bottom of the ball. The points on the bottom star will go in between the points of the top star. The space at the mold like in between the two stars will have a zig zag shape.
- Cut along the lines outlining the star at both the top and bottom of the ball. Also cut the lines within the star.
- Cover the stars with fabric using the kimekomi (tucking) technique.
- Once the stars are covered with fabric, tuck and glue green cord into the seams of the 8 lines that radiate from the center of the stars.
- Next, outline the stars with green sequins. At each point where you connected the dots, you should put one large red sequin.
- Next to the green line of sequins, place a red line of sequins. At the one inch connect points, place a green sequin. At the two inch connect points, circle the large red sequin with green sequins.
- Then place a solid silver line of sequins next to the red line of sequins. Be sure that the top and bottom patterns of sequins mirror each other.
- Mix clear iridescent glitter glue with red glitter to make the glitter paint. Paint the remaining exposed foam.
- In the middle of the bottom star, thread a large red sequin, then 4 holly sequins onto a corsage pin and pin to the center of the star. Fan the holly out so each leaf point is on a two inch line of cord and pin into place.
- At the top of the ornament, place the hanging ribbon and bow. On a corsage pin, thread a large red sequin, then the red hanging ribbon, then two loops of green cord then two loops of red ribbon and so on, until you have a pretty bow. Pin to the middle of the star at the top of the ball.
- Lastly, pin holly on each two inch line of cord just under the bow.
Happy Ornament Making!
Please leave your comments.